WIA Legal Externship/Internship Program
The Wireless Infrastructure Association (WIA) seeks a legal intern or extern to work in its Government Affairs Department during spring, summer, and fall semesters. WIA is the principal organization representing the companies that build, design, own and manage telecommunications facilities throughout the world. Its over 230 members include carriers, infrastructure providers, and professional services firms.
WIA’s Government Affairs Department is highly collaborative. We work together on a diverse array of projects that require a firm grasp of the telecommunications field. We expect interns/externs to participate actively in these projects, and we value substantive contributions to our team.
Scope of Work
- Work with Government Affairs Department to effectively communicate the interests of WIA members to local, state, and federal officials.
- Conduct general legal research on issues affecting the wireless infrastructure industry.
- Assist in the execution of a federal legislative strategy on Capitol Hill.
- Assist in representation of WIA and member companies before executive agencies, including the Federal Communications Commission (“FCC”).
- Gain practical experience in communicating the interests of an industry to government officials.
- Develop an understanding of the issues affecting the wireless telecommunications industry generally, and the wireless infrastructure industry specifically.
- Refine oral and written advocacy skills by attending meetings and drafting written documents, such as ex parte presentations before the FCC, letters to localities concerning siting laws, and comments in open proceedings before the FCC.
- Current law student.
- Relevant coursework in communications law and related fields.
- Membership and participation on a law journal, moot court, or leadership of other student organization preferred.
Interns have an opportunity to receive a stipend (commensurate with experience); externs receive law school course credit. Interested qualified applicants please submit a resume, writing sample and transcript to Van Bloys, Senior Government Affairs Counsel, at firstname.lastname@example.org.