What is COVID-19?
According to the Centers for Disease Control, “Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a novel coronavirus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China. … The virus is thought to spread mainly between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet) through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It also may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads. … Patients with COVID-19 have had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
• shortness of breath
Some patients have pneumonia in both lungs, multi-organ failure and in some cases death.”
Read more about COVID-19 at the Centers for Disease Control website.
New March 26:
As part of its 2020 Telecom Infrastructure Provider Outlook, Sitetracker found that 44% of carriers believe the Coronavirus disease will increase demand for telecom infrastructure as more work-from-home polices are put in place. “At the very least, recent changes in our work lives highlight the importance of communications infrastructure,” the report said. As connectivity providers inside dense office buildings and public gathering spaces, Distributed Antenna System providers anticipate less demand for connectivity.
Recent changes to work-from-home policies have not generally impacted infrastructure providers’ ability to deploy or maintain networks, survey respondents said. However, providers are concerned that government permitting offices could be an obstacle in getting infrastructure deployed. Many jurisdictions rely on paper filings or in-person permitting process, which could be impacted by furloughed workers or fewer office hours.
Read more about the industry’s response to COVID-19 here.
Guidelines for Employers
Following are several resources from a variety of agencies and organizations:
- NEW: COVID-19 Critical Infrastructure Sector Response Planning
- The CDC created Interim Guidance for Businesses and Employers “to help prevent workplace exposures to acute respiratory illnesses, including COVID-19, in non-healthcare settings. The guidance also provides planning considerations if there are more widespread, community outbreaks of COVID-19.” Read more guidance from the Centers for Disease Control here.
- In partnership with the CDC, the National Safety Council hosted a webinar March 10 with advice and guidelines for employers.
- The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) released a 32-page guide with “recommendations as well as descriptions of mandatory safety and health standards.” Read more guidance from OSHA.
- The Department of Labor provided guidance specific to public health emergencies and the Fair Labor Standards Act as well as the Family Medical Leave Act. Read guidance from the Department of Labor.
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security Cybersecurity & Infrastructure Security Agency Guidance on Essential Critical Infrastructure Workforce.
- WIA member Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr produced a preparedness webinar focused on COVID-19: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYAclmr-m5U&feature=youtu.be
- WIA member Phillips Lytle issued client alerts related to COVID-19: Important Labor & Employment Updates and COVID-19: Legal Considerations for Maintaining Business Continuity
- WIA member Cuddy+Feder issued a client alert titled Guidelines for Non-Essential Businesses and Workforce Reduction.
- For general information on efforts to slow the spread of COVID-19, visit the President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America.
Click on the charts below for a larger image.
Read the text of the bill here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6201
Read the text of the bill here: https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/6074/text
- Visit: https://www.morganlewis.com/topics/coronavirus-covid-19.
- Visit: https://www.fisherphillips.com/resources-alerts-comprehensive-faqs-for-employers-on-the-covid#L1
- Visit https://www.lbagroup.com/lbauniversity/
- WIA Applauds DHS Action for Access to Critical Infrastructure
- FCC Fights COVID-19 with $200M; Adopts Long-Term Connected Care Study
- General Liability Considerations and Potential Exposure in Reopening from COVID-19 Shutdown
- 5G Does Not Cause COVID-19
Email Kristen.Beckman@wia.org with resources and information about how your company is addressing COVID-19.